Welcome to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. Our office serves as an independent entity within PBGC. Our mandate is to detect and prevent fraud, waste, abuse, and violations of law, and to promote economy, efficiency and effectiveness in the PBGC operations. The OIG strives, as an agent of positive change, to improve continually PBGC management and program operations by independently conducting audits, evaluations, and investigations. Additionally, the OIG dutifully informs Congress regarding major developments associated with our audit and investigative missions. We report our accomplishments semiannually to PBGC's Board of Directors and Congress (Congressional Testimony and Statements).
The Office of Inspector General consists of the Inspector General, the Deputy Inspector General, and the Assistant Inspector General, who provide leadership and oversight for the offices of Audit and Investigations.
PBGC employees, contractors and the public may confidentially report suspected wrongdoing by PBGC employees and contractors or allegations of possible fraud, waste or abuse occurring in a PBGC program or operation. Visit our HOTLINE web page for information describing how investigative information or complaints can be directly communicated to the OIG. For general inquiries about the PBGC OIG and its operations, dial the OIG phone number: 1-800-400-7242 and then enter extension 4030 during local business hours.
If you wish to be notified when new reports are posted to the OIG website subscribe to our RSS feed.
PBGC's OIG is in the process of conducting various ongoing audit and investigations work, which is relevant to stakeholders such as plan participants and members of Congress. OIG work is culminated into various products, including, but not limited to audit reports, Management Advisories, and Semi-Annual Reports to Congress. The following listing represents our most recent work products.
- Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Statement Audit Management Letter (AUD 2014-7/FA-13-93-6)
- Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing (EVAL-2014-6/FA-13-93-5)
- FY 2013 Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) Submission to the Office of Management and Budget (LTR 2014-5/FA-13-93-4)
- Audit of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's Fiscal Year 2013 and 2012 Financial Statements (AUD-2014-2 /FA-13-93-1)
- Report on Internal Controls Related to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's Fiscal Year 2013 and 2012 Financial Statements Audit (AUD 2014-3/FA-13-93-2)
- Audit of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's Financial Statement Closing Package for Fiscal Years 2013 and 2012 (AUD 2014-4/FA-13-93-3)
- PBGC Lawfully Terminated the National Steel Plans, but Accepted Poor Quality Work from Contractors (EVAL 2014-01/PA-09-66-2)
- Fiscal Year 2012 Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing Report (EVAL 2013-7/FA-12-88-6)
- Fiscal Year 2012 Financial Statements Audit Management Letter (AUD 2013-8/FA-12-88-7)
- Fiscal Year 2012 Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) Independent Evaluation Report(EVAL 2013-6/FA-12-88-5)
- FY 2012 Audit of PBGC'S Compliance with the Implementation of the Improper Payments Act (AUD 2013-5/PA-12-92)
- Audit of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's Fiscal Years 2012 and 2011 Special Purpose Financial Statements (AUD 2013-4/FA-12-88-4)