Welcome to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. Our office serves as an independent entity within PBGC. Our mandate is to detect and prevent fraud, waste, abuse, and violations of law, and to promote economy, efficiency and effectiveness of the PBGC. The OIG strives, as an agent of positive change, to continually improve PBGC management and program operations by independently conducting audits, evaluations, and investigations. Additionally, the OIG dutifully informs Congress regarding major developments associated with our audit and investigative missions. We report our accomplishments semiannually to PBGC's Board of Directors and Congress (Congressional Testimony and Statements).
The Office of Inspector General consists of the Inspector General and the Assistant Inspectors General, who provide leadership and oversight for the offices of Audit and Investigations.
PBGC employees, contractors and the public may confidentially report suspected wrongdoing by PBGC employees and contractors or allegations of possible fraud, waste or abuse occurring in a PBGC program or operation. Visit our HOTLINE web page for information describing how investigative information or complaints can be directly communicated to the OIG. For general inquiries about the PBGC OIG and its operations, dial the OIG phone number: 1-800-400-7242 and then enter extension 4030 during local business hours.
If you wish to be notified when new reports are posted to the OIG website subscribe to our RSS feed.
PBGC's OIG is in the process of conducting various ongoing audit and investigations work, which is relevant to stakeholders such as plan participants and members of Congress. OIG work culminates in various products, including, but not limited to audit reports, Management Advisories, and Semi-Annual Reports to Congress. The following listing represents our most recent work products.
- FY 2016 Federal Information Security Modernization Act Independent Evaluation Report, (EVAL 2017-09/ FA-16-110-7), issued March 22, 2017
- Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing Report, issued February 22, 2017
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's FY 2016 Financial Statement Audit Management Letter Report (AUD-2017-6/FA-16-110-5), issued February 02, 2017
- Agreed-Upon Procedures Report on the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation’s Multiemployer Insurance Program (AUP 2017-7/PA-13-94B)
- Evaluation of PBGC's Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 Compliance with the Improper Payments Information Act
- OIG Risk Advisory - Required Disclosures by Technical Evaluation Panel, Issued December 09, 2016
- Fraud Alert 2017-01, Issued December 09, 2016
- Semiannual Report to Congress (SARC 55) April 1, 2016 through September 30, 2016
- Audit of Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's Financial Statement Closing Package for Fiscal Years 2016 and 2015, Issued November 16, 2016